Thursday, December 30, 2010

Labor of Love

Setting: Thanksgiving weekend. Sisters talking about what they were going to get their kids for Christmas.

Melinda: "I am going to be done so early this year. I have just a couple more things to get and I am done! I would like to get the kids one more thing, a play kitchen. I have been looking and can't find the right one to fit my kids' needs... size, price, durability, etc."

Bethany: "Have you ever thought of making one? I have seen so many cute blogs with people making them. It would be so easy. Let me show you."

Melinda: "Oh my gosh! Those are so cute! I could totally do that."

Setting: Melinda leaves with mind full of can-do thoughts and how she will have all this time before Christmas because she is already done with her shopping.

Things Melinda did not consider: 1. There are only four weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. 2. She has a small amount of time to work on this project while older kids are at school. 3. Melinda is pregnant and does not feel good from noon until asleep that night. 4. There are a hundred other things to do before Christmas!
So to those that know the sweat and tears from the past four weeks, here is "The Masterpiece"



Step 1: Go to every thrift store in town with your 2 year old until you find that perfect entertainment center.
Step 2: Think, worry, and finally decide on entertainment center.
Step 3: Go back to finally found perfect entertainment center (with hopes that it is still there) with trailer (and 2 & 5 year old).
Step 4: Get help to unload perfect entertainment center in the snow.
Very close to "Before" shot:

Step 5: Ask Dad if you can do it at his house!
Step 6: Get Dad to cut hole for sink.
Step 7: Try to get out very old screws. Grit teeth. Keep trying.

Step 8: Go to Lowe's (with 2 & 5 year old) and fret and worry over paint color.
Step 9: Apply first coat.
Step 10, 11 & 12: Apply more coats.
Step 13: Pray that unborn child with not have permanent brain damage.

Step 14: Have Dad make door, back splash, shelf, and anything else your heart desires. (If you haven't got one of these amazing Dads, you must go back to Step 1 and find one while at the thrift stores. Do not buy a new one. The well used ones work much better. Do not attempt this project without one.) THANKS DAD!!!

Step 15: Go to Habitat for Humanity and find old faucet and stove knobs. Use old silver bowl for sink. Coasters for the burners.Step 16: Apply more paint just because you miss the smell.
Step 17: Have Dad spray top coat while you leave the house.
Step 18: Screw on hinges.
Step 19: Go back to Lowe's and get correct hinges.
Step 20, 426: Screw on correct hinges.
Step 20,534: Spray paint phone to match. Have wicked stepmother make adorable curtains, go to Dollar Store and find matching baskets. Yes, that is a real microwave that you got back at thrift store for $10 but will not be plugging it in.


Step whatever: Jump up and down, you are finally finished!





Next step: Wait in anticipation until Christmas morning when The Masterpiece can finally be revealed.
I am not sure who loves it more, the kids or me but I look forward to many fun years with my kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids (because this will never be garage saled!).

7 comments:

Bethany said...

Now THIS is the post I've been waiting for!!! It looks SO stinkin' cute! I am glad I suggested this, even though I'm sure there were quite a few moment where you cursed my name and cursed yourself for ever meeting me in the first place. ;) It's amazing. Way to go, Melinda (and the Donald!)

Renae S said...

Um...I think you forgot Step #20,495. Remember the one where you scream bloody murder at your kids to "STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP, STOP!" (as they are running downstairs at Papa's house - just moments before they would have discovered the nearly completed masterpiece). Yes, that was an important step!

Nice job! This is the best little kitchen I've ever seen!

Reneers in Nebraska said...

Oh! that is so adorable! But I am older and wiser, and never would have attempted it :) But now that you have it you're glad!

Dawn Cooper said...

Woah Melinda!!!! You are my idol. Seriously amazing job!!!

Skyler and Meghan Christensen said...

That is inspiring! It turned out sooo cute!!! Maybe next year I'll be such a crafty and dedicated mom...or the next year...or the year after that. :)

rachel demartin said...

ohhh. melinda, this is a masterpiece that only a pregnant woman would attempt :) of course, it turned out beautifully. there is something so, so familiar about that phone in the kitchen. kinda melts my heart. hope you don't mind me saying, it reminds me of your mom. so cute. good work!!

Jenna said...

WOW! I am so impressed, that is amazing!!!